10.16.2007

08

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Xanadu (1980)

I love that I received both Xanadu and Cannibal Holocaust (see below) in my Netflix post today. Both films were made in 1980, but the similarities end there. I seriously doubt that anyone is going to do a musical version of Cannibal Holocaust on Broadway anytime in the near future.

I'm not going to say much about Xanadu because it's really the kind of film that you have to experience for yourself. If you're a big ONJ (that's Olivia Newton John for those in the know) fan, see this movie. If you're a big ELO (that's Electric Light Orchestra for those in the know) fan, see this movie. If you're dying to see Gene Kelly as an elderly but still handsome man, see this movie. Don't see this film because you loved Michael Beck's work in The Warriors (1979), you will be disappointed by his interesting choice of follow-up.

It was kind of anticlimactic for me to watch this film, because on more than one occasion after a long drunken evening at my good friend Kitty's house my lovely hostess and fellow good friend Michael would put on the Xanadu soundtrack (on vinyl, natch) and dance and sing and act out the whole plot. The movie kind of pales in comparison to the energy contained within their live performance. Note to Michael and Kitty: I can't believe you never told me about the bit where they turn into cartoon humans, then fish, then birds, then humans again.

No comments: