10.13.2007

03

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Season 1 DVD (1993)

Yes I know this is a TV show and not a movie. It's my blog people, I'll write about whatever I want and you'll read it and like it!
So I'm a little depressed this weekend for three reasons: 1) I'm having a hard time finding a decent job, I did get a job this week but I'm not very excited about it. 2) I just moved to a new town, and no matter how fun it is I still don't have the enormous and exciting cast of friends at my beck and call like I did in New York. 3) There was an incident with a boy that made me unhappy.
I was in this exact same situation when I was 19 years old and I had just moved to New York. At that time I dealt with it by sitting on my couch in a cruddy old kimono for an entire summer, chain-smoking cigarettes and watching rented movies. I lost 20 lbs and probably gave myself lung cancer in the future. This time around I've got a much nicer kimono to sit around in and I've long since quit smoking so I'm eating dark chocolate with ginger in it. I have feeling I won't lose 20 lbs this time. To cheer myself up, I bought a DVD of one of the best TV shows ever made, The Adventures of Pete and Pete.
Even if you're dead on the inside and don't like this show, it's worth it to watch it for all the rockstar cameos. Iggy Pop, Michael Stipe, Debbie Harry, Kate Pierson (from the B-52's), and many others that I can't remember play small roles as neighbors and ice cream men in the Pete and Pete community. The music for the show is pretty notable too, including works by bands like Apples in Stereo and The Magnetic Fields.
I'm not dead on the inside yet and I do like this show, it adds color, music, and magic realism to the dreary suburban landscape where many of us spent our childhoods. The plotlines are all really unique, and this show is still enjoyable to watch as an adult because Pete and Pete didn't talk down to kids like so many other shows do. On NPR's "This American Life" this week (episode #341) they did a story about how to talk to kids, and Ira Glass found that talking down to kids who understand adult humor is where many adults go wrong. Most kids aren't dumb, they only turn that way when they reach age 13 and start acting like total assholes. Man I hate 13 year olds!
When I was a kid I was so jealous that Little Pete had a tattoo when he was just a kid. Dance, Petunia, dance! What's up now Danny Tamberelli? Now who's got the most ink?!?

No comments: