11.05.2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (1984)

Yes, I've been a bad little blogger lately. I'm not going to make excuses. Let's move on...

I don't feel like I need to "review" this movie per se, because everybody born before 1984 knows that this movie kicks serious ass. I'm just going to talk about it a little bit, because you probably haven't thought about it or seen it for a while.

This movie teaches us several important lessons:

1. If you have a problem, just dance at it. You can even dance away bulldozers if you're a good enough at it.

2. Everybody in East L.A. in 1984 could breakdance, even old ladies and the mailman.

3. Ice-T is cool as hell.

This movie includes what looks like a precursor to Ice-T's hard rock band, Body Count. A few weeks ago I got into an argument with a friend because he said that Body Count only has one album. I felt like he was trying to dwarf Body Count's cultural significance or write them off as a mere side project that Ice-T only dabbles in or something. Let me just say for the record that Body Count has released 4 albums and one live CD, the last of which came out in 2006. There, it's on the internet, it's fact!

When I watched this movie for the first time in a long time the other day, I was flooded with memories of a childhood crush on Turbo. Earlier today a friend of mine posted a bulletin on myspace, which expressed distress over the fact that her childhood movie crush had resurfaced through the magic of the internet and is now totally nasty. Her crush was Atreyu from The Neverending Story (1984), and you can see his current myspace page here. Gross! Does it seem weird to anyone else that he has photos of his naked wife and photos of their kid on the same page? PS nobody gives a sh** that you just signed on to "star in a big budget remake of troll." After reading this I panicked and looked to see if Turbo AKA Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers has a myspace page. He does, and it's infinitely cooler than Atreyu's page. He's not as cute as he used to be, but at least he isn't posting photos of his wife's fake boobs on the internet for all to see. And he's still dancing, natch! Check out Chamber's page here.

I'm definitely going to be Ozone for Halloween next year, he dresses so fly it's only conceivable to re-create the look for a holiday. I better start collecting studded belts and half shirts now.

WOW am I ever going to talk about current film again or WHAT?!? No, I'm just going to sit at home and watch netflix until I get through my dauntingly large queue.

No comments: