11.08.2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wristcutters: a love story (2006)

Can you believe it?!? I dragged myself to a real-life theatah (pronounced with a cockney accent for no reason) and saw a film that's currently and widely released! Baby steps towards normalcy...

I hadn't heard of this movie until this week, because I don't watch tv and only listen to NPR and never catch wind of popular culture in any way. Come to think of it I don't know how I find out about any movies that are coming out, other than through my friends and through the few measly previews that I catch at the movies that I do go to. Am I qualified to be a movie reviewer, or WHAT??? Anyhoo, I stumbled across this movie on the pull-down menu at moviefone.com. The title caught my eye because rarely do titles that involve self-mutilation make it onto the pull-down menus on sites run by AOL.

As I read up on this movie, I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it through any of my backwards, subversive methods of researching movies online. Mostly because one of the main characters is partially based on that lovable Ukranian Eugene Hutz, lead singer of Gogol Bordello and my future husband. I really dropped the ball on obsessing over Eugene Hutz internet news on this one!

Whatever who cares about my life, let's talk about the movie. To sum up my feelings and then follow them with aimless rambling: this is a really cute dark rom-com that would make a great date movie for people who hate rom-com's. I hate romantic comedies. They make me vomit in my mouth a little bit. But I really liked this movie because they temper the romance with enough bitter comedy to make it palatable.

And congrats to writers Goran Dukic and Etgar Keret for actually coming up with an original storyline, a rarity in today's re-make obsessed movie industry. With the wide release of fellow quirky-indie-flick-starring-well-known-actors Lars and the Real Girl (2007), it almost feels like original plotlines are here to stay! Oh wait... they're re-making Masters of the Universe. I love He-man more than the average kid born in the 80's, and even I don't give a sh**.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Back to the movie at hand: I was also really pleased with all the casting choices in this movie. Patrick Fugit did a stellar job in his first role as a real grown-up, and he's also easy on the eyes. I was very to happy to see that Shannyn Sossamon was in a good movie, and did a good job, because I've always liked her but previously I had only seen her in really terrible movies. A Knight's Tale, anyone? Oh also Will Arnett from Arrested Development plays a small role in this movie, and he's just one of those actors who cracks me up no matter what he says.

All right enough mindless rambling, just go see the movie because it's good and you'll be supporting a non-re-make for once.

No comments: