11.14.2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

Eh, you know what to expect from Wes Anderson at this point, right? Dysfunctional but cute familial relations, right-angle loving compositions, many good tunes from the 60's and 70's? Sure it's a little predictable, but it's still enjoyable!

Adrien Brody makes a fitting addition to the Wes Anderson actor pool, his gangly proportions and impressive schnozz work well with the director's fairy tale styling. This is actually the first movie I've liked him in after a long while of not liking him so much. I understand the draw of the blockbuster paycheck but I feared for his artistic integrity when he starred in King Kong (2005). As far as other actor highlights, Anjelica Huston's face looks so awesome in this movie! Some women (but certainly not all) have the ability to look more distinguished as they age like a man does, AH is proving herself to be one of those ladies. Other quick actor notes: the man who plays the head porter on the train has the most beautiful, angular face you've ever seen, and the stewardess on the train looks like a Indian version of Rosario Dawson.

I really wanted to go to India before I saw this movie. Now I REALLY want to go to India (all caps = I mean it buddy). The scenery in this movie is stunning throughout, and paints a beautiful portrait of this very distinct culture. Towards the end of the film Adrien Brody's character says something about how he likes the way India smells, and you can almost fully imagine the fragrance that he's talking about.

A side note: How in the hell did the three lead actors film a movie where they're running all over India in suit jackets and we don't see a single sweat drop coming off of their foreheads? When I go to India I plan on wearing the flowiest clothes possible and I'm sure I will still be sweating bullets the whole time. And Owen Wilson's got ace bandages all over his head to boot! It's November and it's 82 degrees in Mumbai right now. They must have had one hell of a make up artist.

No comments: